Sunday 17 March 2013

Turning myself off and on again

I love naps.  

Naps became an especially big part of my life around - I think it was - 2005.  At that time my wife gave me an iRiver H120 mp3 player.  Because it recorded direct to mp3 as well as playing 20GB worth of music, it meant that I could archive my favourite audio books that we had on tape.   For years I had been listening to books on tape to help go to sleep, but there was always the problem that at the end of the side of a tape there would be a big THUNK noise, which might wake you up.  Plus the fiddliness of changing tapes to continue the story.   When I had got some recorded, and bought some CD audiobooks which were even easier to get onto it, I could get about 40 complete audiobooks by my bed, in about the same volume as a single audio cassette in its case.   Plus many podcasts such as In Our Time.

I know the above does not sound extraordinary nowadays but once in a while it is good to remember how extraordinary it is.

Anyway, with convenient access to a huge audio library that helped me sleep, I became good at having naps at pretty much any time of day, if circumstances permitted.  I can remember the tipping point too.  It was when I realised that if I just lay in bed and listened to a "tape" (actually mp3 of course), I didn't have to worry about having a nap.   Worrying about going to sleep pretty much makes it impossible to sleep.  Once I knew that when I felt myself slowly drifting down, I didn't have to worry, I got good at having naps.

I love naps for their own sake, but quite often they have a huge benefit for me.  They let me turn myself off and on again.  If I am feeling particularly miserable and I know it's not rational, a nap will very often reboot my brain into a more acceptable state.  Perhaps I won't be happy but that clawing pointless misery might be gone.   More often than not it is gone.  



1 comment:

  1. A supremely CS-appropriate solution:
    “Your brain seems buggy; have you tried turning it off and on again?”

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.