Friday 22 March 2013

Link: It’s not you, it’s a disease

Just came across another excellent article, because it was quoted by John Belcher's.

This one is in the MIT Newspaper "The Tech" by Grace Taylor.
"I want to tell you the story of how I became such a big fan of mental health treatment." 
"So if feeling bad is your baseline, if you haven’t had an awesome day since high school, or if you don’t think you can talk to your friends about how you’re feeling, please consider talking to someone who actually knows what they’re talking about. I didn’t believe in therapy or medication when I started, but that didn’t stop them from changing my life."
It reminds me of the story of the scientist who had a lucky horseshoe on his wall.  When challenged why when he didn't believe in superstitions, he said "Ahh, but I heard it works even if you don't believe in it."

So even if you don't believe in it, read Grace's words and consider investigating therapy or medication.   Unlike horseshoes, it does work for some of the people some of the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.